Schmitt's Shoes located at 244 Main Street opened in 1958 and has been in business for 58 years. Mr. and Mrs. Otto Schmitt started the business in 1952 at the Big Store Building prior to the 1957 fire. At that time they moved the business to the current location and opened Schmitt's Shoes with their son Marvin and his wife Carol.
The third generation entered the business in 1984 when John Schmitt, current owner, graduated from UW Madison and returned to Reedsburg. After John returned, they expanded the business to three times its current size. Throughout the 58 years of growth and changes the same family has been involved in keeping the doors open. Marvin continued to work and then visit the business daily until his death in early 2008.
John also added Social Butterfly Women's Fitness Center in 2007. Spanning the years and the changing consumer market, Schmitt's Shoes continues to operate in the manner in which it originated, as a family shoe store serving a rural community, just as it began in 1952. Many loyal customers come from all around the area to Schmitt's Shoes for the quality merchandise, service, and lowest possible prices. Visitors to Lake Redstone return each summer and bring their friends to shop for their shoes at Schmitt's. Check us out we would be glad to serve you!